As a food additive, hypromellose is an emulsifier, thickening and suspending agent, and an alternative to animal gelatin. The function(s) performed by the food additive when used in cooking.
- Bulking agent – A filler substance that increases food bulk without increasing available energy value significantly
- Emulsifier – An agent that forms or preserves a mixture of substances normally incapable of being mixed eg. oil and water
- Glazing agent – A substances that gives food a shiny appearance or provides a protective coating
- Stabiliser – A substance that maintains the uniform dispersal of substances in a food
- Thickener – A substance that increases the viscosity of a food
Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information. Foodnet India encourages you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional.
Replies, if any, from the brand, will be published here ‘As is’