According to a study conducted in Mumbai in the month of March this year, where 410 samples of edible ice were collected from street shops, vendors and restaurants, 400 samples tested positive for E Coli.
As 98% samples were found to be contaminated with the deadly E. coli, which is a harmful bacteria causing diarrhoea & urinary tract infection, health officials warned the public against having chilled drinks from roadside stalls.
Dr Padmaja Keskar Exec Health Officer BMC said that “the moment E. coli is detected, we term that sample contaminated and unfit for human consumption. During the survey, we also visited more 15 factories that manufacture and sell edible ice. Here too, most samples were found to be contaminated. We destroyed more than 14,700kg of ice.”