Delhi’s Craze for ‘Dhuan Dhuan Cocktails’ Using Liquid Nitrogen is Making People Sick

Recently there was an incident in Delhi where a young man landed in hospital with his stomach “open like a book” after drinking a fuming cocktail. Experts say that this must have been due to the use of dangerous liquid nitrogen in the preparation of the cocktail.

Novice chefs and bartenders are using a dangerous chemical like liquid nitrogen in cold chaats to freeze-dried fruits and drinks to create dramatic looks, not knowing how potentially dangerous it is.

There have been many instances of people ending up in a hospital after consuming liquid nitrogen in the UK as well. Iin 2012, an 18-year-old British teenager underwent an emergency gastrectomy after drinking a Jagermeister cocktail which had liquid nitrogen in it.

Liquid nitrogen is permitted as an additive in frozen food as per the guidelines of the national regulatory body Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI). “However, when it comes to the use of liquid nitrogen it is a gray area. There is no clear-cut guideline for it and generally it is considered to be a novel technique, which can be used by food business operators,” said Dr Arora who heads food testing laboratories in Delhi, Baddi and Bangalore.

Read the article here

Posted in Food News