It has been reported that more than 100 students and 5 faculty members of the Aligarh Muslim University’s (AMU) Malappuram Centre at Perinthalmanna were hospitalized following suspected food poisoning.
Centre authorities said that all those who ate dinner from the North Indian mess of the canteen started showing symptoms of food poisoning like stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea two hours after having food and were taken to a private hospital in Perithalamanna.
The food safety and health officials have visited the campus after the issue occurred and issued a notice asking the centre authorities to take steps to ensure hygiene in the mess. Food safety officer of Malappuram, C A Janardhanan, said that the inspection team collected samples of baking soda, rock salt and roti from the mess which were then sent to the regional food analysis laboratory at Kozhikode. It is also suspected that the vegetables used for preparing some north Indian dishes have resulted in food poisoning.