Methyl parathion belongs to the group of insecticides and acaricides and is used to control boll weevils and biting or sucking insect pests of agricultural crops. It is available in dust form, emulsifiable concentrate, ULV liquid, microencapsules and wettable powder formulations. It is an organophosphate pesticide and insecticide.
Methyl parathion is acutely toxic on inhalation and ingestion, and moderately toxic by dermal adsorption. It is readily absorbed in the skin and if skin has come in contact with it, it should be washed immediately with soap and water and the contaminated clothing should be removed because skin and inhalation exposure to methyl parathion has caused human fatalities. It may also cause contact burns to the skin or eyes. Continue reading